Urban Planner | Analyst (D.C. Metro Area)
WXY architecture + urban design is seeking an Urban Planner | Analyst based in the D.C. Metro area with the ability to handle a wide range of tasks including project management, engagement with diverse stakeholder groups, and conducting research, analysis and design studies to respond to a client or community’s challenges. WXY works on a mixture of public and private sector projects. Examples of current and recent projects include:
- - Masterplan strategies for public sector clients
- - Stakeholder engagement and community-based planning
- - Planning research and analysis for school boundaries
- - Feasibility study for land development
- - Public realm concept designs
- - Brownfield redevelopment studies
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with an interdisciplinary team to support urban planning, stakeholder engagement and community development projects in Washington D.C. region and beyond.
- Prepare written and graphic materials to support planning work, including maps, diagrams, surveys, presentations, web content and project narratives.
- Conduct primary and secondary research and carry out quantitative analysis on a variety of topics.
- Lead in the implementation of public outreach processes, including events, workshops, stakeholder meetings and other public forums.
Interact with governmental agencies, private owners, elected officials, CBOs, individual residents and business owners, advocacy groups and other stakeholders.
- As needed, manage a range of project types, with the expectation of quality and on-time deliverables.
- Assist studio in preparing a variety of decision support tools.
Experience & Qualifications:
- A good understanding of some of the following: zoning and land use; urban design and public realm issues; data and spatial analysis techniques; community engagement techniques; and an ability to rationally explain, explore and discuss planning issues.
- Ability to analyze and interpret a range of data and information
- Ability to synthesize ideas into a narrative
- Ability to write clearly and concisely
- Ability to manage components of projects and communicate with other staff, consultants and clients
- Good verbal communication skills, particularly with respect to community stakeholders
- Spreadsheet modeling skills
- Familiarity with ArcGIS, Rhino and Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with Python is a plus
- Some familiarity with 3D design
- Work related to urban planning and urban design contexts
- Demonstrated interest in economic or community planning and development
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial and leadership skills, including interpersonal and public speaking skills
- Graphic design, mapping, graphic representation, presentation, and geo-analytical skills
- Master’s degree in urban planning or related field(s) preferred.
- 1-3 years of experience urban planning, economic / community development, urban design or equivalent.
Applicants must email cover letter, CV and writing samples in PDF format to email@example.com with the position title in the subject line. Please do not call or fax. Salary commensurate with experience.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation and national origin. WXY is committed to take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified employees and applicants who are disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans, and other protected veterans. WXY is committed to take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified individuals with disabilities.